Saturday, July 28, 2012

homemade butter


So, I made butter for the first time today using my vitamix. . .

2 cups (16 oz.) heavy whipping cream (I used organic)
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste (optional)

  1. Pour the cream into the vitamix and place the lid
  2. Starting at variable 1, turn blender on and slowly increase the speed to variable 10, then to high
  3. Blend until the cream thickens and you hear a change in the sound of the machine
  4. Stop the machine, using a spatula, scrape down the sides, pushing the whipped cream into the center of the container
  5. Using variable 5, blend for 5 seconds, stop and scrape sides again
  6. repeat this a few times until you begin to see liquid, you'll also notice that the sound changes and the blades seem to move more easily
  7. Blend for a few more seconds until solid butter sets up in center on top of blades
  8. Using a fine strainer, drain the butter. What drains is buttermilk. I didn't save mine this time around, but I intend to next time
  9. Put the butter into a bowl and add salt to taste. Manipulate the butter using a spatula or a spoon to push out as much liquid as possible
  10. I used a small mason jar to store mine. I'll probably take half of it for storing in the freezer. We simply don't go through butter that quickly.
If you don't have a vitamix, try using a blender, a mason jar or a food processor