Tuesday, June 12, 2012

homemade natural mouthwash


To go with my toothpaste, I decided to make natural mouthwash. We used to use Listerine all of the time, but the use of mouthwash containing that much alcohol can have a drying effect. Not to mention, I don't like not really knowing what that effect of synthetic ingredients can have on our bodies. I just used an old listerine bottle to dispense it from.

  • 2 cups of filtered water
  • 3 Tbsp xylitol (or to desired taste/sweetness) (or stevia) 
  • 1 Tbs of aloe vera gel
  • 3 tsp of baking soda
  • 2 tsp of peppermint extract
  • 8 drops of pure peppermint essential oil
  • 6 drops of tea tree essential oil
  • 4 drops of bergamot essential oil (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp of myrrh tincture (optional)

First I blended the water and xylitol in my vita-mix. Sans the vita-mix, I would have warmed the water first to dissolve the xylitol. Then I added the rest of the ingredients to a jar and shook really well to mix.

Update: I cleaned out a used brown, glass bottle that my Omega 3-6-9's came in and it's perfect. And it stays fresher longer because I'm using glass and because it's brown, so less light gets in.