Sunday, October 14, 2012

diy cracked wheat cat litter


I've seen so many things about how bad clay litter is, but the price tag of the wheat litter has deterred me, and I really like the clumping litters, so I didn't want to switch to pellet or recycled news litter.

I started doing a little research. The wheat litter you buy at the store is basically just cracked wheat, and those who were making their own, really like it. So, Chris and I went to the feed store yesterday and bought 25 lbs for $6.45. I used my dry blade vitamix container and followed the directions for  cracked wheat and voila, I filled a 35 lb litter pail with cracked wheat in 1/2 an hour.  

Apparently, 2 cup batches are the best to work in for the vitamix blender, you get the most consistent results. Starting at variable 1, increase to variable 7, blend for 10-15 seconds. That's it. It's that easy!