Tuesday, May 22, 2012

homemade lip balm


One of the easiest things I've ever made, although, I followed a recipe first time around and it was way too soft, so I had to redo them all.
  • 4 Tbsp olive oil (or jojoba or almond) 
  • 1 Tbsp grated beeswax (or beeswax pearls)
  • 1 Tbsp cocoa butter
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/4 tsp vitamin E oil (or 3 punctured, squeezed out liquid vitamin E capsules) 
    • I used coconut oil instead, which has vitamin E as one of its properties.
  • 7 drops lavender essential oil (or other essential oil)
  • 3 drops rosemary oil (for preserving properties) 
    • when I remade this, I added a bunch more beeswax and cocoa butter 
I don't have a double boiler right now, so I boiled a pot of water, placed my glass pyrex measuring cup in the hot water and melted all of my ingredients in there. Next, I used a pipette to fill each container... it took a long time, so I'll have to find a more efficient way to pour. I didn't want to pour straight from the pyrex because they tend to drip and be messy. I kept it on the burner at the lowest setting so it wouldn't start to solidify.

I'm really happy with the result! Super soft lips :)  

I found these little pots on amazon at a great price, but have since found chapstick tubes on ebay and will be trying that once these are gone. I love these little containers, but I have little fingers, so they're easy for me to use.